Sunday, May 3, 2009

CAMEO

My mother, my grandmother
Always wore a cameo
Everyday.  All the ladies
Of that era did as it was
The height of fashion in 
The early nineteen hundreds.

It was clasped at the top of 
Their high necked dresses.
A lovely carved Ivory piece
Which usually had a 
Pale peach color also.
Carved always in oval shape.

A beautiful lady was
Silhouetted with fine 
Features.  Sometimes
There was a small diamond
At her breast.  When mother
Passed away I wanted hers.

Another family member,
Who lived in the same
City as mother, got
There before I arrived
For mothers funeral so I
Never found the precious cameo.

Years later I saw it,
Also other gifts my husband
Had given me, on her wall
When I visited.  A few months
Later I wrote to ask her if
I could have or buy then from her.

She said she never had them!
Her mother said she 
Had sold them.  Sad for me
To realize my progeny would
Not have valuable family heirlooms.
Some people have no sentimentality!

No comments: