Wednesday, June 18, 2008

March 13, 1965----Selma, Alabama

Heartbroken I stand and face mankind.
This week the devil held us in his hand!
We did not squirm, neither revile....
The familiar hand held no aversion for too many.
Most were not moved enough to even pray.

100 years ago  the hope for the future was bright...
It was trampled on Selma's bridge tonight!

They fled in fright, their own brothers in command
Leading the hideous attack.
Bloody!  Dazed!  Unable to see!
Please dear God have mercy on me.

Many have suffered, many will die.
But the apathy of you and I
Is what spurs brutality, injustice, and hate.
What key to unlock prejudice's gate?

Heartbroken before mankind I stand.
I might as well hold a club in my hand.
Our "but what can I do?" holds no strength anymore...
We've said it too many times before. 

The path to peace
Perhaps it not be in His plan?
For generations to behold Him in every man.
But pray God we can make a definite start for humanity
By  teaching our children true Christianity. 

No comments: